Today I wanted to write a blog post about staying motivated to keep exercising.. For me this is quite the problem, because my mind is always sabotaging me to delay my run.. Until it gets so delayed that I just don’t do it anymore.. Anyone ever had this problem? ;)
Hehe this polaroid reminds me a bit of a mug shot ;)
So here are some usefull tips to get the motivation going:
- Keep a training log: Just get a notebook and write some notes after each of your workouts. Be sure to mark your mileage, the date and the total amount of time it took to complete the workout. Maybe also a few comments about how you felt during and after the exercise. I have a Garmin forerunner 305 and it gatheres all the information I need on the computer. This motivates me because I can see where I’m improving and where I need to work on.
- Lose the – all or nothing- mentality: If you don’t have the time to do an full workout,don’t slip into the -all or nothing- mentality. It’s better to go for a quick 2-mile run or a 20 min pilates dvd than to do nothing at all. You’ll still get some advantages and you’ll probably feel much better mentally for not skipping an entire workout.
- Think of a good phrase to get you going: Mine is “Just do it” because I overthink to much before starting my run. I just need to get dressed and go! This phrase can pop into your head as you’re listening to your iPod, chatting with fellow runners, or flipping through some magazines, making a vision board. Choose one that fits your personality, such as: “Just do it” or “Harder, faster, stronger”,..
- Give yourself a little treat: Every now and then, treat yourself to some new exercise clothing or a massage or pedicure as a reward for your hard work. The treat will make you feel more energized, and it will keep you motivated to tackle your next goal/race/..
- Keep your health in mind: Exercise improves the way you look and feel. So make sure you periodically remind yourself of the health benefits you’re getting through doing exercise. Think about how much more energy you have, and how you now have a healthy way to relieve stress.
Here are some nice quotes –>
Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful (Joshua J. Marine)
It’s easier to go down a hill than up it but the view is much better at the top. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going. (Jim Ryan)
It’s very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit. ( George Sheehan)
- How do you stay motivated to keep exercising? Do you have a hard time keeping your motivation?
- Any other tips to stay motivated?
Have a nice day sweeties!